Celebrating 40 years
Based in Quorn in the Flinders Rangers. Formed in 1973, as an operating museum. They operate over the remaining part of the old Ghan narrow line. This line opened Port Augusta to Quorn on the 15th December 1879.
1973 members of the Society, who come from all walks of life come together to keep this part of the line from being dismantled. It was hoped to gain an enough interest to preserve the last remaining part of the Ghan line.
Preserve the rail link through Pichi Richi Pass is the current cry. This picture taken on Monday afternoon shows to what lengths same people have gone to draw attention to the fact that the line between Port Augusta and Quorn should be kept for posterity. One of the signs he on French's Bridge, placed there by Quentin Smith in March 1973.
As reported on March 22nd, 1973 - Transcontinental Paper - Port Augusta
CENTRAL AUSTRALIA RAILWAY
HERE IS A BRIEF OUTLINE OF CHRONOLOGICAL EVENTS OF SIGNIFICANCE
- CENTRAL AUSTRALIA RAILWAY - Contract let in 1877
- 15.12.1879 Section Port Augusta-Quorn opened for traffic
- 28.6.1880 Sect. Quorn-Hawker opened for traffic.
- 1.7.1881 Section Hawker-Beltana opened for traffic.
- 22.5.1882 Sect. Beltana-Government Gums opened for traffic. (Farina)
- 7.2.1884 Sect. Govt. Gums-Hergott Springs opened for traffic.(Marree',
- 1.2.1888/) Sect. Marree-Coward Springs-William Creek to Oodnadatta
- 7.1.1891 opened for traffic.
- 1.1.1911 Transfer of Port Augusta-Oodnadatta railway from S.A.R. to Commonwealth Railways under N.T. Acceptance Act.
- 1.1.1926 Commonwealth Railways Commissioner assumed control and operation of the railway.
- 21.1.1927/) Construction Sect. Oodnadatta-Wire Creek commenced by C.R.'
- 11.8.1927 ) and Contract let for construction Wire Ck..Alice Springs.
- 23.12.1928 Sect. Oodnadatta-Rumbalara opened for traffic.
- 2.8.1929 Sect. Rumbalara-Alice Springs opened for traffic.
- 1957 Port Augusta-Marree standard-gauge open for traffic.